O is for OPTIMISM
A happy and abundant life is built step-by-step based on the choices we make or decisions we take at every moment in our life. Some moments are life changing and determine the course/ direction our life will take. It’s during these crucial moments that the choice we make becomes so critical. Every moment provides us with 2 choices – be an Optimist or a Pessimist. The choice of Optimism brings out the best in us; even the word “Optimism” has roots in Latin, derived from the word “Optimum” denoting “the best”. Optimism or the tendency to look at the brighter side of everything and is more of an attitude or mindset that carry us through tough times.
Why OPTIMISM is important ?
· Helps us see possibilities and opportunities in every situation/ circumstance
· Build and strengthens our coping skills which helps when confronted with failure/ setback/ rejection· Keeps us self-motivated which enables us achieve more in life
· Provides health benefits in terms of ensuring better and healthy cardiovascular system, better immunity. Being positive and optimistic releases serotonin, which creates a sense of well-being
· Makes us more solution oriented where we focus more on finding positive ways to problems
· Increases our level of self-esteem and self-confidence
· Renders us more clear and organised in our thoughts and actions, thereby managing time better
· Build in ability to take more risks and try put new things
How to build OPTIMISM ?
· Build a mindset of acceptance that things may go wrong. Keep revisiting your beliefs and remove those which hold you back from seeing the bright side of life. Practice mindfulness
· Stop seeking perfection in everything , rather start focusing on progress. Start taking small steps towards the goals
· Be in the company of people who uplift and motivate. These people help us see the positive/ bright side of things
· Reminding our self about our accomplishments, however small they may be helps us be positive. Celebrate the little successes
· Practice Smiling more as it releases good chemicals (dopamine, endorphins and serotonin) in our brain/ body
· Be watchful of the language/ words we use and make our statements more accomplishing in nature
Capitalise on all the OPPORTUNITIES that OPTIMISM provides to achieve more in life !