- Is it important to know where you are headed, be it about any journey we undertake?
- Is it crucial to begin the day with clarity about the tasks to be accomplished that day?
- Is it important to live our life with a clearly defined set of expectations?
For sure, the answer will be a resounding "YES" though we do not always comply with it. A simple case in point is the way we live our life, more as a ritual rather than a mission; also those times when we mindlessly go through life's chores without any thinking about why we are doing them ?
And if asked why we are doing them, the immediate reaction is- "So what ?, how does it matter how i traverse the path as long as i am going somewhere?"
Little do we realise that this "somewhere" itself is the biggest problem. Quoting Lewis Carroll - "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". This illustrates that "somewhere" may not turn out to be our "desired land". If all we want from ourselves is to be in a state of "motion" then it will only lead to "commotion".
Why is Destination important ?
The most important reason that we need a destination is because our dreams is at stake. Every journey in our life is an unfulfilled dream till we reach where we desire to. Imagine the plight of those who embark on an expedition to Himalayas or Antartica or any other place without identifying where they need to stop !
At a personal level, think about the times when we step out of our home, we know exactly where we need to head. Likewise, every other journey that we embark upon needs a finish point too. Every Start needs a Stop and unless destination is identified it's only going to result in an abrupt stop. We can't expect ourselves to be "moving" without any movement, forward, backward or sideways.
Don't we all yearn for few important things in life ? Don't we all yearn for a life well-lived ? Don't we all engage in a quest for success and happiness in life ? Then why not define what we seek and make the road easier to travel for ourselves!
Summing up the need for identifying Destination - It gives direction and meaning to our lives. It also makes us more efficient and productive.
How to identify/ define Destination in Life ?
If Destination is so critical for out life then it becomes imperative to identify it. Few ways we could do so is
- Imbibe the habit of putting a closure to every task that we undertake
- Give the destination the shape of a well-defined goal
- Link the established goals with relevant areas of our life
- Visualize the dream state we want to achieve to enable us establish the appropriate destination
- Be clear about the distinction between an intermediate goal and the main goal
- Don't get overwhelmed with the journey itself as it needs to end at some point
So, the choice is ours - whether we want to live an incomplete life laden with unfulfilled dreams and desires or we want a meaningful life laden with accomplishments and happiness!